Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dad's Top 5 Rules of Life


Today I started thinking about my Dad.  Of course, if you are a regular reader of my blog, you would know that I am a "Daddy's Girl" and the fact that Father's Day is just around the corner,  I thought it would be fun to reminisce what I have learned from my Dad.

#1 Dad rule - Be appreciative for what you have, not everyone is as lucky.

No kidding, I grew up in a middle class neighborhood and NEVER went without, where as my Dad grew up with zilch (well, maybe a little more than nothing, but things were tight to say the least).

#2 Dad Rule - Take care of what you have (it shows appreciation) - refer to #1

This is self explanatory, but it was really driven home with my car as I often got the hairy eyeball for not washing and vacuuming it regularly (BTW, Dad if you are reading this, I just cleaned the car two days ago).

#3 Dad Rule - Treat others how you would want to be treated

My Dad is a real joker with people but is never cruel.  I always remember working with him at our family business and seeing how regardless of age, race, color or creed, he treated everyone the same.  People appreciate people who are kind and considerate.  LOVE THIS!

# 4 Dad Rule - Pay your bills every time in FULL and ON TIME
OK, again this was Dad's way of keeping me out of trouble and by default I became a smart money manager (thanks Dad)

#5 Dad Rule - Take care of your family - ALWAYS!

By example, my Dad looked after his mother, sister, wife, kids and even sometimes the neighborhood kids too.  When we got a new bike, we never got rid of the old one as someone from the neighborhood may need it.  (We lived in an area with a mixed bag of single parent families, new immigrant families and middle class families, and not everyone had the $$ we did).

The above are just a few of the rules my Dad has lived by and in my 39 years of watching him be the man he is, I appreciate what he has done to shape my life and the lives of others around him.

Now, in his retirement years, when he should be relaxing, he volunteers for the local Food Bank and still takes care of others (organizing sports teams and trips with friends).  Some things never change.

So on this week, I pay homage to the man who is not just my Dad, he is the man that all other men must measure up to.  He casts a BIG shadow, but my husband does an excellent job keeping pace.

Amen to all the men who hold us high and keep us grounded.  Happy Father's Day to all great Dad's!

P.S. My Mom is AMAZING too, and she deserves her own article...hence why I will do that one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment