Friday, July 15, 2011

Life Liberation


Yesterday I watched a video called the "Gifts of Imperfection" by Dr. Brene Brown and it opened my eyes to, as she puts it, "the idea of living with courage, compassion and connection". 

As a chronic "over-achiever" and "perfectionist", it was a rough thing to have to listen to, but at the same time very liberating.  I have been wondering for some time now, when I could get off the wheel and start to care less about the little things and more about the BIG stuff.  You see, I feel, and so does Dr. Brown for this matter, that our society dwells too much on how our exterior is set up (i.e. clean home, kids over scheduled and how our body shape looks to the discerning eye) that we miss the great stuff that life has to offer (i.e. going on the sunny destination trip with our spouse even if we are not the perfect bikini body).

I so relate to this as I am always worried about what other people think.  If I don't look good all the time (God forbid I tear off to the market and get caught by someone with no makeup on) OR act a certain way (happy all the time...heck, this is my trademark) that people will think that something is awry with me.

I  don't know about you, but I certainly don't have a great day, everyday...but believe me, you would never know it.  I always have my game face on and many times it is exhausting! 

So after watching this video, (which by the way my beautiful Mom sent me...thanks Mom!) I realized that I need to sit down and do some serious internal housekeeping. 

I have always loved to write lists at the beginning of the year for things that I would like to achieve for the year (can you say type-A personality), however these lists usually end up complicating things further.  So this time around my list will be about the important stuff that is not geared around things, but more around experiences and family.  I am sure that the two lists will be completely different and most likely life altering. 

Think about it...how different would your life be if you did things out of pleasure vs. shame or guilt?  Does it take some major illness to realize that we need to live from a place of happiness?  I hope not.

Go out, have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff. 

As my old neighbor Reg used to say..."Who is gonna care in 100 years anyway?"

Have a great weekend!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment