Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Enjoying the Moment


This morning I spoke to my Mom on my drive back home from dropping the kids off at school.  This is something I do most weekday mornings for the 25 minute drive as I enjoy speaking to people on my hands free phone while driving.  To me this is better than listening to the news or flipping radio stations and it keeps me connected to the ones I love.

Today the converstation was about family and the trip to our house for the holidays that she will make.  We laughed about stupid things that have happened in the last 24 hours and I also filled her in about the various bad drivers cutting in and around me!  Argh!  Another blog altogether.

What got me thinking about blogging about my daily phone conversation was I realized how much I enjoy the banter back and forth every A.M.  Funny how when my Mom was away on holidays and I couldn't call her as frequently I missed that.  I think that in our world today we tend to rush around so much in a fog that we forget to pay attention to the little things until they are gone...then we notice.

We hop in the car and drive kids to school then off to work we go.  Busy, busy...then later in the day we rush to the store,  rush around shopping, drive home, pick up kids, drive them to soccer or dance or whatever.  All the while we are thinking about dinner, birthday gifts, laundry...you get the picture.  It is a crazy gerbil wheel that  keeps us running all day, everyday.

Women are amazing multi-taskers but do we really enjoy it?

Is there any satisfaction experienced from doing so many things in one day?

My personal answer is NO!

Many times I ask myself at the end of the day...where did the time go?

What did I do again today?

It is all a fog and yet it all seems so important to do fast and efficiently...is that even possible?

I find the most satisfaction I seem to get is the simple stuff...like finding a great book and having the time to read it without interruptions...OR having a delicious coffee and being able to sit and savour it...OR talking with my Mom on the phone about nothing.

These are my little things that make my day better.  I think we all worry about so many little things that the BIG ones are lost in the "things to do" list.

So to my Mom, thanks for being a good start to my morning...even if the conversation is all over the map.  It helps me clear my head and get caught up all at the same time.  God knows I need a little clarity sometimes in this crazy world we live in.

I think we all need to remember that we can only do so much...now where is my list again?...;-)

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment