Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Focusing on being thankful...



Yesterday was Thanksgiving here in Canada.  As families and friends gathered to share food and conversation I ventured into the realm of what it is that I am truly thankful for this year.

Outside of the regular answers I normally give, great husband, good kids, my health and the health of our parents, etc, I thought about the other things that I take for granted.

Friends - One of the reasons that I think I am such a happy person is that I know I have great friends that love me!  They are the kind of people that you don't have to call every day or week, but when you do see them it is like old times all over again. We just pick up where we left off...I love this.  

Great neighbors - we really do have fabulous people that live around us.  Sharing their birthdays with us, bringing over Christmas baking and just general friendly waves to each other from the driveway.  I think it should be criteria when buying a house to ask the current owners "How are the neighbors?"  Truly they can make or break a great home.

Weather - yes, I do live in Vancouver or as some people refer to our region as "Raincouver", however it has been an amazingly wonderful August, September and start of October.  We even had all our doors open cooking our turkey yesterday and it was 18 degrees Celsius!  In Vancouver we rarely get snow, and mostly live in a climate that if it gets below -5 Celsius that is cold!  Our trees and grass is green most of the year and my husband has actually boasted that he has gone sailing, golfed and skied (in the mountains) all in the same day.  I love this city.

My home - I live in a single detached house in the Lower Mainland (just outside of Vancouver) and it is just the perfect size for our family of four with a dog.  We are always under a renovation of some sort (being married to a Contractor has it's pluses and minuses),  but really the house is ideal.  With comfortable interior, a park across the street and great access to walking trails, we have it all here.

I guess my thought behind this blog post was to reflect on what it is that we do and see each day.  Don't wait until something is gone to appreciate it.

"Be grateful for all that is in your life, for we only have but one!"

What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment