Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Holiday R-o-o-o-o-o-a-a-d!



Hi Everyone!

We're back...from vacation that is.  My husband and I recently took our kids on a family cruise to Alaska and what a treat!  The service was amazing, food abounds and great activities for the kids too.  I would recommend anyone to do it at least once in their lifetime.

This is where I get to my blog today...vacations.  Should you save to go on them or just go and deal with the Visa bill later?  Interestingly enough, most people have no idea how much to put away for regular savings, let alone a vacation.  Having said this, I have traveled ALOT this year, and one of the things that I have learned is that paying for as much as you can BEFORE you go, will help make your holiday so much more enjoyable. 

Then separately budget yourself $$ for items on the trip that you cannot pre-pay for such as food, gifts, etc.  Knowing that the main particulars  (i.e. flight, hotels, car rentals, etc) are already taken care of can be a real load off your shoulders.  There is nothing worse than coming home to a LARGE credit card bill and thinking..."what was that for"....OR..."how am I going to get out of this debt hole?"

I suggest that you start with the internet and investigating your "ideal vacation", then work backwards from there.  I found a really great article on the Concierge.com that talks about how to get the lowest airfare and what day of the week is best to fly on, etc. 

Really it is common sense to always take a break once in a while.  Whether you idea of vacation is heading to your local lake or to Europe, planning ahead is the way to go to have the maximum fun, with the minimum $$ worries.  Really, with today's stresses of regular life, everyone should place great importance on a holiday.

Bon voyage until tomorrow...


Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment