Monday, May 2, 2011

Space...the final frontier!




This past weekend I found myself going on the local water taxi for the first time ever, even though I have lived in my city my whole life!  It was really interesting as I found myself feeling like a tourist in my own city.  It got me thinking about  the mentality of people today to own a home with a yard and sq/footage and then asking the question..."is that worth the sacrifice of having to commute every weekday"?  

The answer most people have is different from person to person, but I know that most people are thinking differently today then they did even 10 years ago.  With the densification of housing being encouraged in most major Canadian cities, we can now find housing in places never thought of.  From laneway houses to carriage homes, basement suites, townhouses and condos, the options are far more than just a single family house.  

The downside to this is that the space we get to live in is significantly tighter.  No more unused space as every inch counts.  As for the outdoor lifestyle, in a smaller space you are relegated to a local parks and walking paths around to get us out and into the fresh air.  But again, do we really need the yard and all the extra work that comes with it?  

I guess my thought is, don't rule out a smaller condo, etc as a family home in the city centre if you work close to it.  What you may lose in home sq/ft space, you gain in family time.  Let's face it, when you live in tighter quarters you are forced to get along better with everyone, as well as you are home in less time after work.  The "burbs" are usually a 30+ minute commute each way from work, costing you $$ for gas and your precious time too! 

Size does count, but what you make of it counts even more.

Happy Monday!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment