Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Job vs. Personality...Are You In Your Dream Job?


Do you ever wonder if what you are doing for $$ is really your ideal job?

For many years I have worked, making good $$ along the way, and I have been fairly lucky with having jobs that I loved.  When I stopped liking what I did, I changed it. 


Musicians and artists often struggle with this as most of the time, what they love doesn't pay well, or is spurratic.  This is not good and should be re-worked to make it a lucrative job.

Many people have re-worked a job idea to include $$ making ideas to change up the way they are paid (think music or book downloads vs vinyl/disc or paper versions).  This is not only brilliant, but it will pay off in more ways than one. 

An ideal job should not feel like work, but rather a welcome challenge on a task/hobby you like to do, that someone pays you for.  

I urge everyone that reads this blog to assess your job:
  1. Do you enjoy going to work most days?
  2. Are you making enough money to warrant your working pay vs. daycare, transportation, clothing costs?
  3. Do you go the "extra" mile if need be at work, or  do you require being asked/ordered?
  4. Are you able to express your views in the workplace?
  5. Are you able to be creative if necessary?
There are many questionnaires on the internet that you can take to find out your best job/field for you, but it is always best to find out what type of personality you are first to determine your ideal employment.  The Meyers-Briggs Test is an excellent test to take that gives you an accurate understanding of what you are good at, and where you would be best suited to work. 

I recently took it myself and found that it was correct for what I enjoy to do.  Now, I am considering adding to my $$ making endeavors to enhance my job and personal "loves".  Always changing, guess that is the Gemini in me :-).  

Keep in mind that kids born today will working in a job in 20 years that has not even been invented yet!  Use your imagination, ask your friends...

I recommend that you consider at least taking the assessment.  It may be a good place to start.

Get back to me with your experiences and/or thoughts.  I would love to hear what ideas and employment you have chosen to spend your precious time on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment