Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Takes a Village...


We all come from somewhere and today my Dad has taken my two kids (12 and 14 year old) to his hometown of Trail, BC.  He goes back every year (sometimes twice a year), to see his old friends and their senior parents to "chew the fat".

I used to think it was strange to do this, but as I get older I think it is nice, kind and downright respectful to consider the people who helped raise you.  Really...let's face it, it does "take a village to raise a child".

As a kid I was raised in East Vancouver and boy was it a melting pot of people.  In my neighborhood there were 8 different nationalities on one block!  I used to joke that it was like eating at the food fair at the mall everyday going to a friend's house, but really it was.

As kids, we all got along and played together daily, and we spent time at each others homes, listening to different languages and participating in various customs.  It was needless to say, educational and amazing.  I know the person I am today is a direct result of the people that I was raised around, and I really am glad they were all there.

You see, in my world in the  70's and 80's you would have smelled Indian food, heard Chinese music, saw Greek flags and spoke English.  I believe that because of this I am tolerant, interested, and worldly because of my childhood surroundings...and I have many people to thank for this.

So now, as an adult, living with my own family and friends, I would encourage anyone to re-visit what made you into the human being you are.  I bet it was not just your parents, but your neighbors, teachers and friends parent's too!

Thank you to the following families (in no particular order): Wada's, Duncan/Wersta's, Chu's, Kardakaris', Sahota', Bauer's, Naidu's, Nixon's, McRae's, Tomei's, De'Arlieaveria's, Dosanj's...the list is endless.

Because of all of you I can cook a mean curry dish, say "poli-kala" sing a Chinese counting song, bowl, play softball, celebrate Christmas, Dhawali, Easter, etc., and show my kids the beauty of all of it in our Canadian house.   

Liz XO

No comments:

Post a Comment